What is a Christian?
It may be helpful to begin by pointing out what a Christian is not:
- Having Christian parents does not make you a Christian
- Being baptized does not make you a Christian
- Repeating the “sinner’s prayer” does not make you a Christian
- Committing your life to God does not make you a Christian
- Desiring God to bless you does not make you a Christian
- Enjoying church does not make you a Christian
- Engaging in religious disciplines does not make you a Christian
- Performing good works does not make you a Christian
A Christian is someone whom God has spiritually awakened. As such they see the guilt of their sin (breaking God’s laws) and their need of God’s forgiveness through Jesus Christ. More broadly a Christian is someone who believes that the Bible is God’s authoritative Word and accepts as true all that it says.
Ezekiel 11:19-20; Ezekiel 37:1-14; John 3:1-3; Ephesians 2:1-9
A Christian is someone who has exercised faith and repentance: faith (trust) in the death of Jesus Christ as payment for sin and faith in His resurrection as confirmation of all that He claimed. Repentance is a change of attitude toward sin which leads to a change of life
John 6:28-29; Acts 17:30; Acts 20:21; Romans 4:21-26;
A Christian is someone who seeks to live a life pleasing to God. With a renewed and thankful heart they are committed to evangelical obedience. This will show itself in good works and spiritual fruitfulness.
John 15:18; Galatians 5:16-26; James 2:14-26; 1 John 2:1
Dear friend, have you been awakened by God? Have you trusted in Jesus Christ as your only hope to save you from God’s judgement; have you had a change in heart concerning sinful living? Are you now committed to God’s will with joy and thanksgiving? This is what it means to be a Christian.